20 November 2007

Christkindlmarkt

I was supposed to see a film at the university tonight, but the film was cancelled, so I ended up walking back to the bus stop through the center of town, past City Hall and the first Christkindlmarkt of the season. The city hall was completely lit up with golden lights and oversized Christmas ornaments hanging from tree branches. I'll have to return with my camera soon to take some pictures. I walked through the market fairly quickly since it was about to close, but I did see about 50 different vendors, selling everything from Christmas ornaments to candles to jewelry to wooden toys for children. There was also a cluster of vendors selling Lebkuchen, Würste, and Glühwein. (There's nothing like a glass of Glühwein to warm the heart on a cold winter's night!) This particular Christkindlmarkt at City Hall is known for being the most touristy, and indeed, I did hear a fair amount of English being spoken. The real markets, complete with artisans and their professional crafts, will open next week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home